Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Comma, Comma, Comma, Comma, Chameleon!

My fellow, Literati!  Oh!  How I hang my head in shame!  It’s been weeks since I’ve posted a new blog and I am ashamed!  There are reasons, excuses as to why I found no time between work, writing, and critiquing...but I’d rather not bore you! 

I hope this post finds you all well and happy! 
I’m in an awesome writing group and received my Middle Grade novel back from one of my reviewers (let’s call her E.K. because she comes up again later).  I’m fortunate enough that she’s also an editor at a very big publishing house and her feedback was amazing!  I’ve updated the novel and am ready to now send it to the agents that requested it at Backspace.  Super excited!  I must admit, my “Thank You” page in my novel is going to be quite long!
I also received a few blog awards from the awesome E.B. Pike!  Check out her blog, Writerlious, it is awesome!  So  a BIG thank-you to E.B.  I’m not sure how to post the awards on my Blogger blog, but I tip my hat to you!
I thought I’d share a sentence with you that has been in my novel since it was just a very rough draft.  I’ve read my book about thirty times and never caught it.  Other have read my book and never caught it.  But it makes me laugh when I think about it.  E.K. caught it though and I love her comment that went along with it too.  Here’s the sentence:
“You need to eat young man!”
Did you catch the error?  E.K. pointed the error to me with this comment: “Unless he’s a cannibal, you’re missing a comma. (smiley face)”
No, he’s not a cannibal.  J  But it does remind us how important one little mark can be.  Do you have a favorite sentence or phrase that can mean something totally different if missing a comma?   More on commas to come!  Also, look for the next installment of our Fairy Tale series this week!
Happy Writing!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I had a funny gaffe like that too: "She smacked his hand off." It was meant to describe my MC brushing this annoying dude's hand away after he tries to tug on her hair.

    One of my betas was like, "Um, I just got a really gross mental image of his hand falling to the floor." Ha!

    I forget what I changed it to, but now she brushes it away or something.

    You can just post the pictures in your sidebar and answer 7 questions about yourself on the blog awards (and then award them to 7 other people). Kind of annoying, but still fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

My trusty grammar source: